Istanbul is the largest city of Turkey and also its capital. It is a combination of various cultures and act as a gateway between Europe and Asia. Istanbul is the symbol of union of Eastern and western culture and this is reflected in the Heritage of the entire city.
Places to visit in Istanbul-
- Hagia Sophia- It is a beautiful church now transformed into museum. It is known for its huge and beautiful domes.
- Sultan Ahmed Mosque- Popularly known as the Blue Mosque, it has a combination of ottoman, Christian and Islamic architecture.
- Bosporus- It is a natural strait that divides Europe from Asia.
- Topkapi Palace- Built in 15th century this was the resident of Ottoman sultans now turned into a museum.
- Basilica Cistern- It is a huge underwater cistern with Ancient Greek and Byzantine architecture.
- Grand Bazaar- It is a colorful market in Istanbul and is one of the world’s oldest covered markets.
- Taskim Square- It is a public square with loads of shops, bars and restaurants.
- Dolmabahce Palace- A combination of Baroque Architecture, ottoman Architecture and Neoclassical Architecture this palace was the administrative center during Ottoman Empire.
- Galata Tower- It is a beautiful example of Romanesque architecture built during the medieval period.
- Suleymaniye Mosque- Built in the 16th century during Ottoman Empire, this Mosque will give you the best views.
Where to stay??
It is better to stay in an area from where you can approach all the tourist spots easily. Some of the best hotels to stay are-
- Courtyard by Marriott Istanbul International Airport
- Planet Paprika Hostel
- Taskim Square Hot Residence
- Midtown Hotel Istanbul
- Sultan Hostel
Istanbul is truly a combination of East and West, a city where you can find huge contrasts in culture and Faiths. So pack your bags and let’s explore this beautiful city.